Shores of Tripoli 20 Virtual Run
Run, walk, row, or bike 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) in our Shores of Tripoli 20 virtual run on April 27, 2021.
The second line of the Marines’ Hymn, “to the shores of Tripoli,” pays tribute to the Battle of Derna where Marines fought in their first battle abroad against the Babary pirates. The origin of the Marine officers’ “mameluke” sword can be traced back to this battle and the sword 1st Lt Presley O’Bannon received as a gift after the battle.
To register go to https://mca-marines.org/virtualruns-2021/
*Virtual run date begins on April 27. Participants must complete their virtual distance by May 2, 2021
How to Track Your Miles:
1. Go to the App or Google Play Store on your mobile device
2. Download the app “Map My Run by Under Armour” (the app icon is blue with a white UA logo and is free)
3. Create your account
4. Add “Marine Corps Association” as your friend
5. Your friend request will be accepted within 48 hours
6. You will then receive a notification that you have been invited to the “The Flag Raising Challenge”
7. Click on the notification then click on the green “Join Challenge” button
8. Click here if you need help using the “Map My Run” app
*Note – If you are already friends with Marine Corps Association on the MapMyRun app, we will send you an invite to the Challenge within 48 hours of registration.